Creating the Religiously Literate School
05 July 2017, 9.00 - 13.00
central london, WC1H 9BD
The National Curriculum requires all schools to provide religious education. In a diverse and multi-faith society, it is important for schools to offer an understanding of a variety of religions and the role of religion in human experience.
A religiously literate school will offer pupils a basic understanding of the history, beliefs, practices and contemporary manifestations of several of the world's religious traditions as they arose out of and continue to be shaped by social, historical and cultural contexts.
This event is ideal for:
- Headteachers and Deputy Heads
- Designated Safeguarding Leads
- School Governors
- Staff with any responsibility for Religious Education in the curriculum
This half-day event is for all those who need to create a school where all staff understand the complexities, sensitivities and joys of a religiously literate school; where different religions and worldviews are engaged with in a manner that promotes learning and contentious issues are handled in an appropriate and creative manner.
Course Outcomes: Participants will have:
- A better understanding of the nature of religions in the UK and how these can affect their school and learning
- Analysed how religious issues can be handled with integrity and sensitivity
- Created an action plan using best practice as to how their school can become more religiously literate.
Benefits of attending this training
- Training by a facilitator who has many years’ experience of developing excellent Religious Education in a wide variety of schools. He is a passionate advocate for intellectually rigorous, exciting and enjoyable RE
- A programme that has been developed specifically to meet the challenge faced by those who have responsibility for the mandatory provision of religious education in schools
- Limited group size to maximise the opportunity for discussion and sharing of experience
- Up to date materials and resources that reflect current issues in this area
- Training that promotes best practice and professionalism
George is a lecturer, consultant and teacher.
He has many years’ experience developing excellent RE in a wide variety of secondary schools. He has also been a governor of a primary school and a member of staff at St. Mary’s University College, having held a number of senior management positions in schools. He is a passionate advocate for intellectually rigorous, exciting and enjoyable RE.
Having established an award winning Religious Studies department, he was Head of Sixth Form and Director of Post 16 Education in contrasting London schools before taking on a University position and becoming director of Education – Religion – Culture Ltd. In this role he trains teachers as well as advising a plethora of organisations about religion and culture.
We have linked with Eventbrite to provide a secure, fast and easy way to book places. Please click on 'Order Now' below to reserve your places. Payment can be made by Credit/Debit card instantly or by Invoice
If you would like assistance registering your place please contact our team on 01243 544 960 and we will be happy to assist.
Discounts for 4 or more delegates are also available.
Want to pay by invoice? If you select your tickets and click on the green 'Order Now' button. Once you’re through to the registration page, you can switch payment method from Credit/ Debit Card to Pay by Invoice– if you get stuck please call us on 01243 544 960 and we will be happy to help.